Math Tutoring Center
Math Tutoring Center provides one-on-one tutoring on the AUAF campus for students in Math Courses E.g. Math 101, 110, and 130 and creates an atmosphere where students feel welcome. The tutor will solve sample questions for the students to understand the fundamentals of math assignments. Tutor helps students to respond to initial assignments, and lessons.
Information of the Center:
Work Day: Sunday – Thursday
Work Hour: 1:00 P.M.– 8.00 P.M.
Location: ICAWED 116
Need: Tutorials are 30 minutes long
- NO tutoring for the assignment papers or solving the student’s assignments.
- Students must bring in their directions or instructions for the assignments.
- The main purpose of the Math Tutoring Center is to provide guidance for and simple questions solving for the students.
- Students can make an appointment Here.
(Note. Appointment will ONLY be booked with AUAF’s email address)
- BE ON TIME! Students are expected to arrive at least 5 minutes early for their schedule appointment.
- Students are not allowed to use the Math Center’s printer.
- Students are not allowed to hang out and bring any drink or food to the Math Center.
Math Center FAQs
1. What happens at Math Tutoring Center?
The main purpose of Math Tutoring Center is to help students develop their mathematical skills, do well in their assignments, and feel confident and independent when solving math problems. Through our sessions, students will receive quality assistance in understanding, analyzing and solving mathematical problems and develop strong math problem solving skills.
2. Who needs to go to the tutoring center?
Students registered in Beginning Algebra, College Algebra, Math 098, Math 099, Math 110, Calculus I and Calculus II and have difficulties solving mathematics problems can visit the Center.
3. Where and when can I visit the tutoring center?
Math Center is located in Women Center, first floor, room# 116. Students can visit tutors at Math Center from Sunday till Wednesday at 1:00 pm to 7:30 pm. Our hours change for the first and last week of each semester. Make sure to check for our hours that are posted on the office door.
4. How do I schedule a meeting with the tutoring center?
Students can walk in and set an appointment in person. To make appointments, students can choose any time that suits their schedule; we have a flexible timetable.
5. Why should I go to the tutoring center?
Students will be able to develop problem solving skills that can contribute to solid math foundation as a result of tutoring sessions at the Center.
6. Are the tutors trained?
Yes. The tutors have vast experience in teaching mathematics, writing math curriculum, and 12 years of experience as a math tutor at American University of Afghanistan.
7. How much time will I have with the tutor?
The time student may need vary depending on the questions the may have. They can take a minimum of 10 minutes to maximum of 30 minutes.
8. Do tutors also assess Academy and MBA work?
Academy students can visit tutoring center; while, MBAs cannot at this time.
9. Are the tutors only math majors? Will they understand assignments from other departments?
Students who need to solve mathematics problems in other courses can receive guidance at Math Tutoring Center - but they do not have the background to teach economic theory, accounting, etc. For that type of guidance the student should make an appointment with the instructor of the course.
10. Can I bring a friend’s math work for peer-tutoring sessions?
No. As part of the learning process and academic integrity, students must present their own work themselves.
11. Is there a limit to the number of pages/questions that can be reviewed?
There is no limit for the number of questions student may ask. They can ask as many questions as they may have within the timeframe scheduled.
12. Is there some sort of proof that I went to the tutoring center?
Yes. We keep records of every student in a journal after they visit Math Tutoring Center.
13. Are tutors always available in the center?
The tutors are available during their office hours. Please contact Math Tutoring Center if you need to visit them at any other time.
14. Is there a charge for visiting the tutoring center?
No. We provide our services free of charge for all Academy and Undergraduate students.
15. Do you schedule tutoring sessions in the evening?
Yes. We will be at our office to serve students in the evenings. See our office hours above. Keep in mind that during finals we have limited hours. Priority will be made to students in foundation math courses.